A Novel Method for Insulation Testing of High Voltage Electrical Equipment
(International Journal of Engineering Works)
Vol. 5, Issue 2, PP. 32-36, February 2018
A.C., D.C., CT, SA, HTS, HV, FBT, LOPT
Different equipment’s are used to test the insulation of electrical machines and measure the break down voltages of different materials, e.g. Rogowski Profile, Borda Profile and fluke insulation tester. These testing techniques works on a common principle of applying a very high voltage across the insulating material and keep increasing the voltage which increases the electric field until the breakdown voltage is reached where the insulation breaks down. Different materials are tested via insulation testers to determine their breakdown voltages so that the corresponding correct materials are used accordingly in different situations. Devices with higher impurities causes sparks and arcing, so dielectrics having higher breakdowns should be used as their insulation, otherwise, a suitable dielectric should be used. This paper offers a novel method to overcome the above-mentioned problems using an insulation testing device that should be automated, less bulky, less expensive, portable and which shall be easy to use with higher degree of safety.
- Taimur Khan, was with Bahria University Islamabad, Pakistan and currently employed as an E/M Engineer at Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority, Peshawar.(email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Adana Haleem
Taimur Khan, Adnan Haleem, "A Novel Method for Insulation Testing of High Voltage Electrical Equipment" International Journal of Engineering Works,Vol. 5, Issue 2, PP. 32-36, February 2018.
-  I. A. Metwally, "-Dot Probe for Fast-Front High-Voltage Measurement," in IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 2211-2219, Aug. 2010.doi: 10.1109/TIM.2009.2030928
-  T. R. Blackburn, C. Grantham, B. T. Phung, Z. Y. Liu, M. F. Rahman and J. X. Jin, "High voltage insulation test for high Tc superconducting types," Applied Superconductivity and Electromagnetic Devices (ASEMD), 2013 IEEE International Conference on, Beijing, 2013, pp. 241-244.doi: 10.1109/ ASEMD.2013.6780753
-  IEEE Standard Techniques for High-Voltage Testing," in ANSI/IEEE Std 4-1978 , vol., no.,pp.0_1-,1978doi:10.1109 / IEEESTD.1978.119190
-  D. Pan, H. W. Li and B. M. Wilamowski, "A low voltage to high voltage level shifter circuit for MEMS application," University/Government/Industry Microelectronics Symposium, 2003. Proceedings of the 15th Biennial, 2003, pp. 128-131. doi: 10.1109/UGIM.2003.1225712
-  R. R. M. Pendor, Z. Abas and A. K. Yahya, "Winchester-Banana platform for high temperature and high-voltage reliability testing with voltage monitoring capability," 36th International Electronics Manufacturing Technology Conference, Johor Bahru, 2014, pp.1-7.doi: 10.1109 /IEMT.2014.7123113
-  K. A. O Connor and R. D. Curry, "High voltage characterization of high dielectric constant composites," 2010 IEEE International Power Modulator and High Voltage Conference, Atlanta,GA,2010,pp.159-162.doi: 10.1109 /IPMHVC.2010.5958318
-  R. Minkner, "Development trends in medium- and high voltage technologies for measuring systems, filters and bushings," Power Tech, 2005 IEEE Russia, St. Petersburg, 2005,pp.1-8.doi: 10.1109/PTC.2005.4524818.
-  M. S. Naidu and V. Kamaraju, High Voltage Enginnering, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2004.
- E. Kuffel, W. S. Zaengl, and J. Kuffel, High Voltage Engineering. Fundamentals, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2nd edition, 2000.