Design and Implementation of MPPT for a PV System using Variance Inductance Method
(International Journal of Engineering Works)
Vol. 5, Issue 5, PP. 105-110, May 2018
Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT), Variance Inductance, Solar Photovoltaic (PV), Efficiency, Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)
Earth receives huge amount of solar energy which is thousands times more than the world’s yearly demand. Solar energy is very cheap reliable and pollution free source of energy. Solar energy is converted into electrical energy with the help of solar panels made of solar cells. Various methods have been developed to extract maximum power from these solar panels. Those methods are conventional and they lose huge amount of solar energy causing failure in extracting maximum power. This paper presents very efficient method to extract maximum possible power which a solar panel may deliver. Here MPPT charge controllers are used instead of conventional charge controllers which always keep on tracking maximum possible power. This paper involves designing and implementing Maximum Power Point Tracking System for a Solar Photovoltaic Panel (150 Watt). The efficiency of solar cells is low in general. So the impact of being able to extract maximum possible power out of the PV System (hence improving efficiency) is huge. The technique used in this paper to track maximum power point is Variance Inductance Method. This technique compares the actual value of ΔP/ΔV in the circuit with zero on regular intervals to generate a PWM Signal using a microcontroller. This PWM signal then dictates the switching frequency of a buck regulator connected to the solar panel and the load/ batteries. Through this switching the values of V and P in the circuit are maintained such that maximum power keeps on getting transferred. This technique is designed and implemented in proteus and output is observed.
- Engr. Zainab Huma: U.S. Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Energy (US PCAS-E) of the University of Engineering & Technology (UET) Peshawar, Pakistan.
- Dr. Abdual Basit: U.S. Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Energy (US PCAS-E) of the University of Engineering & Technology (UET) Peshawar, Pakistan.
Engr Zainab Huma, Dr Abdul Basit, "Design and Implementation of MPPT for a PV System using Variance Inductance Method" International Journal of Engineering Works, Vol. 5, Issue 5, PP. 105-110, May 2018.
-  U. o. C. Scientists, "Union of Concerned Scientists," [Online]. Available: http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/our-energy-choices/renewable-energy/public-benefits-of-renewable.html#.VzrfFZF97IU.
-  K. Erickson, "NASA," [Online]. Available: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2002/solarcells/.
-  "Energy Informative," [Online]. Available: http://energyinformative.org/best-solar-panel-monocrystalline-polycrystalline-thin-film/
-  G. R. Energy. [Online]. Available: http://www.greenrhinoenergy.com/solar/technologies/pv_electronics.php.
-  Academia, "Academia," [Online]. Available: http://www.academia.edu/4723214/A_Comparative_Study_on_Maximum_Power_Point_Tracking_Techniques_for_Photovoltaic_Power_Systems.
-  M. H. Rashid, "Google Books," 2015. [Online]. Available: https://books.google.com.pk/books/about/Power_Electronics.html?id=-WqvjxMXClAC.
-  S. Smith, "Academia," [Online]. Available: http://www.academia.edu/4016400/Microelectronic_Circuits_by_Sedra_Smith_5th_edition.
-  "Arduino," [Online]. Available: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno.
-  "Henrys Bench," [Online]. Available: http://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/henrys-bench/arduino-voltage-measurements/arduino-25v-voltage-sensor-module-user-manual/..
-  "Instructables," [Online]. Available: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Measure-AC-Current-using-Hall-Effect-Sensor/.