Governing Major Infrastructure Projects in Laos: the Context of Front-End
(International Journal of Business, Economics and Management Works)
Vol. 6, Issue 03, PP. 31-37, March 2019
Project governance, major infrastructure projects, front-end phase, Laos
For pursuing development goal, the governance of major infrastructure projects in Laos should be investigated from the front-end phase, it’s the first step to examine essential requirements and highlight both positive and negatively affect to the whole project. This research this research had explored the decision-making process, governance framework, assessment method, roles and responsibility of public infrastructure projects as the front-end governance context in Laos. Data from public documents and literature can be drawn a whole picture of front-end governance context, and case studies can provide us with a better understanding of real context (phenomenon). The synthesizing analysis can be explored the parties, roles and the staged-gated process of front-end decision for a better understanding of decision-making in major infrastructure projects.
- Nikhaphone MACKHAPHONH: School of Economics and Management, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
- Guangshe JIA: School of Economics and Management, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
- Qiang MOU: School of Economics and Management, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
- Puwei ZHANG: School of Economics and Management, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
Nikhaphone MACKHAPHONH, Guangshe JIA, Qiang MOU, Puwei ZHANG "Governing Major Infrastructure Projects in Laos: the Context of Front-End" International Journal of Business, Economics and Management Works, Vol. 6, Issue 03, PP. 31-37, March 2019.
-  N. Mackhaphonh and G. Jia, “Megaprojects in Developing Countries and their Challenges,” Int. J. Business, Econ. Manag. Work., vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 6–12, 2017.
-  G. H. Volden and K. Samset, “Governance of Major Public Investment Projects: Principles and Practices in Six Countries.,” Proj. Manag. J., vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 90–108, 2017.
-  T. Christensen, “The Norwegian front-end governance regime of major public projects: A theoretically based analysis and evaluation,” Int. J. Manag. Proj. Bus., vol. 4, pp. 218–239, 2011.
-  R. Garland, Project Governance: A Practical Guide to Effective Project Decision Making. London, UK, 2009.
-  K. Samset and G. H. Volden, “Front-end definition of projects: Ten paradoxes and some reflections regarding project management and project governance,” Int. J. Proj. Manag., vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 297–313, 2016.
-  K. F. Samset and G. H. Volden, Governance Schemes for Major Public Investment Projects_A comparative study of principles and practices in six countries, no. 47. 2016.
-  P. W. G. Morris and J. Geraldi, “Managing the institutional context for projects,” Proj. Manag. J., vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 20–32, 2011.
-  B. Hobbs and M. Aubry, “An Empirically Grounded Search for a Typology of Project Management Offices,” Proj. Manag. J., vol. 39, pp. S69–S82, 2008.
-  E. S. Andersen, “Illuminating the role of the project owner,” Int. J. Manag. Proj. Bus., vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 67–85, 2012.
-  R. Müller, Project governance, vol. 12, no. 5. 2009.
-  O. J. Klakegg, T. Williams, and O. M. Magnussen, “Governance Frameworks for Public Project Development and Estimation,” Proj. Manag. J., vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 47–67, 2008.
-  A. Tadege Shiferaw and O. Jonny Klakegg, “Linking policies to projects: The key to identifying the right public investment projects,” Project Management Journal, vol. 43, no. 4. pp. 14–26, 2012.
-  V. S. K. Delhi and A. Mahalingam, “Institutional issues related to project governance of infrastructure PPP projects in India,” in Construction Research Congress © ASCE 2012, 2012, pp. 1481–1490.
-  M. Hobday, “The project-based organisation: an ideal form for managing complex products and systems?,” Res. Policy, vol. 29, no. 7–8, pp. 871–893, 2000.
-  C. Besner and B. Hobbs, “Project Management Practice, Generic or Contextual: A Reality Check,” Proj. Manag. J., vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 16–33, 2008.
-  A. K. Y. Ng, A. E. Velasco-Acosta, and T. Wang, “Institutions and the governance of transport infrastructure projects: Some insight from the planning and construction of the CentrePort Canada Way,” Res. Transp. Bus. Manag., vol. 14, pp. 25–33, 2015.
-  R. A. W. Rhodes, “Understanding Governance: Ten Years On,” Organ. Stud., vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1243–1264, 2007.
-  R. Miller and D. Lessard, The Strategic Management of Large Engineering Projects (Book)., vol. 33, no. 1. 2002.
-  O. J. Klakegg, “Pursuing relevance and sustainability: Improvement strategies for major public projects,” Int. J. Manag. Proj. Bus., vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 499–518, 2009.
-  OECD, “Regulation of Insurance Company and Pension Fund Investment OECD REPORT TO G20 FINANCE MINISTERS AND CENTRAL BANK GOVERNORS,” OECD Rep. 2015, no. September, pp. 1–37, 2015.
-  O. Jonny Klakegg and T. Haavaldsen, “Governance of major public investment projects: in pursuit of relevance and sustainability,” Int. J. Manag. Proj. Bus., vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 157–167, 2011.
-  Z. A. Auzzir, R. P. Haigh, and D. Amaratunga, “Public-private Partnerships (PPP) in Disaster Management in Developing Countries: A Conceptual Framework,” Procedia Econ. Financ., vol. 18, pp. 807–814, 2014.
-  T. Williams, O. J. Klakegg, O. M. Magnussen, and H. Glasspool, “An investigation of governance frameworks for public projects in Norway and the UK,” Int. J. Proj. Manag., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 40–50, 2010.
-  T. Cooke-Davies, “The ‘real’ success factors on projects,” Int. J. Proj. Manag., vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 185–190, 2002.
-  F. Guo, Y. Chang-Richards, S. Wilkinson, and T. C. Li, “Effects of project governance structures on the management of risks in major infrastructure projects: A comparative analysis,” Int. J. Proj. Manag., vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 815–826, 2014.
-  D. Walker and M. Jacobsson, “A rationale for alliancing within a public-private partnership,” Eng. Constr. Archit. Manag., vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 648–673, 2014.
-  M. P. Abednego and S. O. Ogunlana, “Good project governance for proper risk allocation in public-private partnerships in Indonesia,” Int. J. Proj. Manag., vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 622–634, 2006.
-  J. R. Turner and S. J. Simister, “Project contract management and a theory of organization,” Int. J. Proj. Manag., vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 457–464, 2001.
-  J. Halman and B. Braks, “Project alliancing in the offshore industry,” Int. J. Proj. Manag., vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 71–76, 1999.
-  M. Suprapto, H. L. M. Bakker, H. G. Mooi, and M. J. C. M. Hertogh, “How do contract types and incentives matter to project performance?,” Int. J. Proj. Manag., vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1071–1087, 2016.