High Frequency Modeling of Transformer Using Black Box Frequency Response Analysis
(International Journal of Engineering Works)
Vol. 4, Issue 10, PP. 190-195, October 2017
Power transformer, Black box analysis, Frequency response analysis, resonance frequency
Lightning Surges consequently induce high frequency overvoltage to transformers. Therefore, it is alluring to study the transfer voltage of lightning surges from primary to secondary side of transformer. Keeping in mind the end goal to do lead this review, high frequency Siemens power transformer of rating 25KVA, 25KV/400V is to be examined. In this paper, an advanced and modified high frequency model of transformer is presented for protection of load against lightning transients. Suggested model is modified form of N.A Sabiha model and based on black box, two ports four terminal network theory. For No load condition, Transformer parameters are calculated on two resonance frequencies of 450 KHz &1 MHz using fast Fourier transform. Matlab/Simulink is used for simulation analysis. Both Time and frequency domain validate the accuracy. Resemblance between the measured and calculated results confirms the precision of proposed model when an impulse of 1.2/50µs is applied to transformer terminals.
- Mubasher Hussain: Research Scholar at University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan. Email:firstname.lastname@example.org Cell: 0092-3455606120.
- Naeem Arbab: Professor at University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan.
- Adeel Khan: Research Scholar at University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan. Email: email@example.com Cell: 0092-.3347354535
Mubasher Hussain, Naeem Arbab, Adeel Khan, "High Frequency Modeling of Transformer Using Black Box Frequency Response Analysis" International Journal of Engineering Works, Vol. 4, Issue 10, PP. 190-195, October 2017.
-  G. Liang, H. Sun, X. Zhang, X. Cui, “Modeling of transformer windings under very fast transient overvoltages” IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., vol. 48, no 4, Nov. 2006.
-  M. Popov, L. van der Sluis, R. P. P. Smeets and J. L. Roldan, "Analysis of very fast transients in layer-type transformer windings", IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 238-247, Jan. 2007.
-  K. Samarawickrama, N. D. Jacob, A. M. Gole and B. Kordi, "Impulse Generator Optimum Setup for Transient Testing of Transformers Using Frequency-Response Analysis and Genetic Algorithm," in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1949-1957, Aug. 2015.
-  Sabiha, Nehmdoh A., and Matti Lehtonen. "Lightning-Induced Overvoltages Transmitted Over Distribution Transformer With MV Spark-Gap Operation—Part I: High-Frequency Transformer Model." IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery 25.4 (2010): 2472-2480.
-  Sabiha, Nehmdoh A., and Matti Lehtonen. "Experimental verification of distribution transformer model under lightning strokes." Power Systems Conference and Exposition, 2009. PSCE09. IEEE/PES. IEEE, 2009.
-  J. C. S. Silva, A. De Conti, D. G. Silveira and J. L. Silvino, "Power transformer modeling based on wide band impedance and admittance measurements," 2013 International Symposium on Lightning Protection (XII SIPDA), Belo Horizonte, 2013, pp. 291-296.
-  P. T. M. Vaessen, "Transformer model for high frequencies," in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1761-1768, Oct 1988. doi: 10.1109/61.193982
-  Borghetti, A. et al. "Calculation of voltages induced by nearby lightning on overhead lines terminated on distribution transformers". Proceedings of the International Conference on Power Systems Transients. pp. 311-316, Lisbon, 1995
-  A. Piantini, C. V. S. Malagodi,.: “Modeling of Three-Phase Distribution Transformers for Calculating Lightning Induced Voltages Transferred to the Secondary”, IEEE, 5th International Symposium on Lightning Protection, Sao Paulo, 1999.
-  A. Piantini and C. V. S. Malagodi, "Voltage surges transferred to the secondary of distribution transformers," 1999 Eleventh International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering, London, 1999, pp. 365-368 vol. 1.doi: 10.1049/cp: 19990582
-  N. Abed and O. Mohammed, “Physics-based high-frequency transformer modeling by finite elements,” Magnetics, IEEE Transactionson, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 3249 –3252, 2010.
-  N. Abeywickrama, Y. Serdyuk, and S. Gubanski, “High-frequency modeling of power transformers for use in frequency response analysis (fra),” Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 2042 – 2049, 2008.
-  Sood, Yog Raj, Rajkumar Jarial, and Kapil Gandhi. "Condition monitoring of power transformer using sweep frequency response analysis." MIT International Journal of Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering 1.2 (2011): 80-86.
-  A. Holdyk, B. Gustavsen, I. Arana and J. Holboell, "Wideband Modeling of Power Transformers Using Commercial sFRA Equipment," in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 1446-1453, June 2014. doi: 10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2303174.
-  B. Gustavsen, “Wide band modeling of power transformers,” PowerDelivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 414 – 422, 2004.
-  Z. Zhongyuan, L. Fangcheng, and L. Guishu, “A high-frequency circuit model of a potential transformer for the very fast transient simulation in gis,” Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1995 – 1999, 2008.
-  Heindl, M., S. Tenbohlen, and R. Wimmer. "Transformer modeling based on standard frequency response measurements." International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering, Hannover, Germany. 2011.
-  R. Aghmasheh; V. Rashtchi; E. Rahimpour, "Gray Box Modeling of Power Transformer Windings for Transient Studies," in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery , vol.PP, no.99, pp.1-1 doi: 10.1109/TPWRD.2017.2649484
-  Jurišić, Bruno. "Transformer model for calculation of high frequency, transmitted overvoltages."
-  T. Noda, H. Nakamoto and S. Yokoyama, "Accurate modeling of core-type distribution transformers for electromagnetic transient studies," in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 969-976, Oct 2002.
-  T. Župan, B. Trkulja, R. Obrist, T. Franz, B. Cranganu-Cretu, and J. Smajic, “Transformer Windings Parameters Calculation and Lightning Impulse Voltage Distribution Simulation," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 1–4, Mar. 2016.
-  Bigdeli, Mehdi, and Ebrahim Rahimpour. "Optimized Modeling of Transformer in Transient State with Genetic Algorithm." International Journal of Energy Engineering 2.3 (2012): 108-113.
-  J. Chong and A. Abu-Sia da, “A Novel Algorithm to detect Internal Transformer Faults”, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 2011
-   Filipović-Grčić, Dalibor, Božidar Filipović-Grčić, and Ivo Uglešić. "High-frequency model of the power transformer based on frequency-response measurements." IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery 30.1 (2015): 34-42.
-  Y. J. Yin, J. P. Zhan, C. X. GU, Q. H. Wu and J. M. Zhang “Multi-Kernel Support Vector Classifier for Fault Diagnosis of Transformers”, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 2012, vol.21, no.5; May 2013.
-  Paulraj. T, Hari Kishan Surjith. P and Dhana Sekaran. P, "Modeling and location of faults in power transformer using Transfer Function and Frequency Response Analysis," 2014 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Communications, Control and Computing Technologies, Ramanathapuram, 2014, pp. 83-87