ICI Suppression in OFDM Systems for LTE
(International Journal of Engineering Works)
Vol. 4, Issue 9, PP. 156-159, September 2017
OFDM, Multicarrier Techniques, 4G, LTE, Digital Modulation
4G technology bring great prospects for the future. To obtain the desired goal, a multiplexing technique known as the OFDM i.e. Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing was being suggested. OFDM provides sufficient data rate as other methods but requires less bandwidth. The idea of OFDM was conceptualized in the 60’s. Weinstein and Ebert showed that OFDM can be employed or implemented using Fast Fourier Transform (FFT). With arrival of VLSI and advancement in DSP techniques, OFDM was practically implemented. OFDM has three main problems namely Intersymbol Interference (ISI), PAPR known as Peak-to-average Power ratio and the intercarrier Interference (ICI). One of most severe problem among these is ICI. Efficient methods were proposed to eliminate the ISI and reduce PAPR. This paper explains the factors that causes ICI in the 4G LTE wireless system and possible solutions to this kind of interference. The ICI increases the system probability of bit error rate (BER) increases. The system BER can be reduced by reducing the factors which have significant affects to cause ICI.
- Farhan Altaf is an Electrical Engineer and a Research Scholar at Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology Peshawar, Pakistan.
- Dr. Syed Waqar Shah is Professor and Chairman, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology Peshawar, Pakistan
Farhan Altaf, Syed Waqar Shah, Waleed Shahjehan, Haseeb A. Khan, "ICI Suppression in OFDM Systems for LTE" International Journal of Engineering Works, Vol. 4, Issue 9, PP. 156-159, September 2017
-  Bingham, John A. C. , 2000 ADSL, VDSL, and multicarrier modulation, New York: Chichester : Wiley
-  Intini A. Louis, December 2000, University of California: Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing for wireless network
-  Ye Li, 2006. Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing for wireless communications, Springers. Chapter 2 pp 19-46
-  Peled, A. and Ruiz, A.; “Frequency domain data transmission using reduced computational complexity algorithms”, Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, IEEE International conference on ICASSP 80, vol. 5, pp.964 –967, Apr. 1980
-  Wulich, D and Goldfeld, L , “Reduction of peak factor in orthogonal multicarrier modulation by amplitude limiting and coding”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp 18-21. January. 1999.
-  O’Neill, R. and Lopes, L.B. (1995), “Envelope Variations and Spectral Splatter in Clipped Multicarrier Signals”, IEEE conference proceedings PMIRC, pp. 71-76.
-  Ahn, J. and Lee, H.S. (1993), "Frequency domain equalization of OFDM signal over frequency non selective Rayleigh fading channels", Electronic Letters, Vol. 29, No. 16, pp 1476-1477.
-  Li, R. and Stette, G. (1995) “Time limited orthogonal multicarrier modulation schemes, IEEE transactions on communications, Vol. 43, Feb/March/April, pp. 1269-1272.
-  Moose, P.H. , “A Technique for Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing Frequency Offset Correction”, IEEE transactions on communications. Vol. 42, No. 10, pp 2908-2914, October. 1994.
-  Zhao, Y. and Häggman, S.G. (1996), “Sensitivity to Doppler Shift and Carrier Frequency Errors in OFDM Systems-The Consequences and Solutions”, IEEE conference proceedings VTC, pp. 2474-2478.