Impact of Solar PV Integration on Short Circuit Current and Protection of Distribution System
(International Journal of Engineering Works)
Vol. 5, Issue 5, PP. 96-102, May 2018
Photovoltics (PV) ,ETAP, IEEE13 Bus System,Protection system, Distributed generation (DG)
Injection of solar power to current distribution system has provide many benefits such as power quality is improved, reliability is increased and peak demand is full filled. when a solar source is injected despite of it benefits it has some negative impact on protection system that in turn effect reliability and stability of system. injecting solar PV to system cause to increase fault current and severely effect protection system. We use IEEE 13 bus system for simulation with software ETAP.we inject solar PV on different buses and apply fault on different location. we compare the result of short circuit study of normal case and when PV is added. We also increase the penetration of PV and see it impact short circuit current . This comparison enables us to investigate impact of solar PV on short circuit current level and impact of this current on protection scheme and devices in this paper we will investgate the impact of injecting solar power on fault current level of distribution system and study the consequent effect of this fault current on protection system and devices of long transmission line and line losses is also reduced so it encourages to generate electricity in local and supply the near by load rather than constructing a long transmission line.
- Umair Shahzad Khan: US Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Energy (USPCASE) UET Peshawar.
- Dr. Muhammad Naeem Arbab: US Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Energy (USPCASE) UET Peshawar.
Umair Shahzad Khan, Dr. Muhammad Naeem Arbab, "Impact of Solar PV Integration on Short Circuit Current and Protection of Distribution System" International Journal of Engineering Works, Vol. 5, Issue 5, PP. 96-102, May 2018.
-  K Kauhaniemi, L. K. (2004). Impact of Distributed Generation on the Protection of Distribution Networks
-  M. C. B. Ravindranath, Power System Protection and Switchgear, New Delhi:New Age International (P) Ltd., 2005
-  Kersting WH. Radial Distribution Test Feeders, IEEE Distribution system Analysis Subcommittee Report 2001;908-912
-  International Energy association outlook Source: https://www.iea.org/
-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_generation
-  Kersting WH. Radial Distribution Test Feeders, IEEE Distribution System Analysis Subcommittee Report 2001;908-912
-  M. T. Doyle, Reviewing the impacts of distributed generation on distribution system protection, IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, vol. 1, pp. 109-114, July 2002
-  Philip P. Barker, R. W. (2000). Determining the Impact of Distributed Generation on Power Systems: Part 1 - Radial Distribution Systems.
-  IEEE. Retrieved02 16, 2011, from IEEEJoint Working Group B5/C6.26/CIRED, "Protection of Distribution Systems with Distributed Energy Resources," March 2015
-  P. M. Anderson, Power System Protection, IEEE Press, 1999, pp. 201-240, 249-25
-  http://www.solarfacts.com/panels/.
-  J.Holmes, J. M. (2004). Protection of Electricity Distribution Networks. United Kingdom: Power and Energy Series 47
-  M. Bollen and F. Hassan, Integration of Distributed Generation in the Power System, 1st ed.,John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2011
-  http://www.electrical4u.com/types-of-electrical-protection-relays-orprotective-relays
-  IEEE, IEEE 100, The Authoritative Dictionary of IEEE StandardTerms,Seventhed.,IEEE Press, 2000