Protection of Microgrid by Using Adaptive Relaying Scheme
(International Journal of Engineering Works)
Vol. 4, Issue 9, PP. 160-165, September 2017
Low Carbon energy, Microgrid, Quite intelligent, Drastic, Adaptive relay
Recently, different ideas are developed and implemented towards the interest of getting more effective low carbon energy sources and Microgrids. A microgrid has two modes of operations, Grid connected mode of operation and stand alone mode of operation . When the mode of operation is changed from grid connected mode to stand alone mode there is a drastic reduction in the magnitude of the fault current , so this mannerism and shows the problem with the protection .In order to overcome this sort of problem we develop this scheme. In this scheme the relays are made quite intelligent to decide the mode of operation of the system and to sense the expected faults on time. Relay shows a flexible behavior to the magnitude of the fault and change its setting according to the fault magnitude. Here is the demonstration of how to develop the hardware for the adaptive relays for the purpose of protection of microgrids, certain cases are also developed to validate its operation too. Relays adopts itself to the fault to adjust its setting and time of operation.
- Shoaib Munawar is a postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering Department University of Engineering and Technology Peshawar, Pakistan.
- Contact : +92-3018080745 Email: email@example.com
- Muhammad Naeem Arbab is a Professor in Electrical Engineering Department Univeristy of Engineering and Technology Peshawar, Pakistan.
- Sana Ullah Khan, MSc Electrical Power Engineering, BSc Electrical Engineering
Shoaib Munawar, Muhammad Naeem Arbab, Sana Ullah Khan, "Protection of Microgrid by Using Adaptive Relaying Scheme" International Journal of Engineering Works, Vol. 4, Issue 9, PP. 160-165, September 2017.
-  Building-microgrid.lbl.gov/about-microgrids.
-  J. Blackman and T. Domin, Protective Relaying Principl and Applications, 3rd Edition USA: CRC Press, 2007
-  S. Chowdury, S. P. Chowdury and P.Crossley, Microgrids and active Distribution networks, UK; the IET (UK), 2009
-  D. Dondi, D. Dayoumi, C. Haederli, D. Julian and M. Super, “Network Integration of Distributed Power Generation”, Journal of Power Sources, Vol 106, Issues 1-2, pp.129, 2002
-  J.D. Codling, S.A. House, J.H. Joice, K.M. Labhart, J.R.Richards, J.E. Tenbush,“Adaptive Relaying” – “A new direction in Power System Protection” IEEE Potentials, Vol.15, Issue 1, pp.28-33, Feb/March 1996
-  D. Naulhong, R, Wissanuwong and B. Pongsiri, “Optimal coordination of directional over current relays for back up distance relays using a hybrid genetic algorithm”, in Proc. 2009 AESIEAP CEO Conference.
-  http://www.instructables.com/id/78xx-Regulators-Ics/’ic picture lm 7805
-  http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/distance-relays
-  http://www.electrical4u.com/
-  www.examgeneral.com/public/images/data/11316_8723.xm