Static VAR Compensator for Weak Grid Systems
(International Journal of Engineering Works)
Vol. 5, Issue 1, PP. 10-15, January 2018
Static VarCompenstor (SVC), Thyristor switched capacitor (TSC), Thyristor controlled reactor (TCR), Gate turn off thyristor (GTO), Flexible alternating current transmission systems (FACTS)
In our daily routine life majority of electric loads usedare inductive in nature. Adequate supply of active power and reactive power must be supplied to these loads to ensure proper operation. If not provided with required active power and reactive power, these inductive loads burdens the system unnecessarily. Hence resulting in low power factor.In a local electrical distribution system it in uneconomical to upgrade existing network for improvement of power factor.In weak grid system residential consumers use voltage stabilizers to cope up with poor quality of voltage, while industrial consumers use switched capacitors. But voltage stabilizers regulate the voltage on cost of drawing more current from system. On the other hand switched capacitors technology is not robust enough to handle instant variations in power demand. Low power factor on local grid systems can be addressed using static var compensators. In this paper designing of SVC for local grid system is discussed.
- Muhammad Kashif Khan graduated from University of Engineering and Technology (UET) Peshawar in 2015. He holds B.Sc degree in Electrical Engineeirng. He is currently enrolled in M.Sc Electrical Energy Systems Engineering at US Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Energy (USPCASE) UET Peshawar.His major field of study is Electrical Power Engineering. He worked as trainee engineer with HUAWEI Telecommunication for 3 months. Currently he is working as Lecturer in Department of Electrical Engineering at UET Peshawar.
- Abdul Basit completed his B.Sc. degree in electrical engineering fromUniversity of Engineering & Technology (UET) Peshawar, Pakistan in 2006. He received his M.Sc. degree in electrical power engineering from Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden in 2011 and his PhD from the Department of Wind Energy of the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) in 2015. He is currently working as Assistant professor at U.S. Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Energy (USPCAS-E) of the University of Engineering & Technology (UET) Peshawar. His research interests are on protection, power factor improvement, power system operation, renewable power integration and automatic generation control.
- Faheem Ali completed his B.Sc Electrical Engineering from University of Engineering & Technology (UET) Peshawar, in 2012. He Completed his M.Sc Electrical Power Engineering in 2014. Currently he is pursuing his PhD in field of electrical power engineering. Also he is currently working as Lecturere in department of Electrical Engineering University of Engineering & Technology (UET) Peshawar.
Muhammad Kashif Khan, Abdul Basit, Faheem Ali, "Static VAR Compensator for Weak Grid Systems" International Journal of Engineering Works, Vol. 5, Issue 1, PP. 10-15, January 2018.
-  Schipman, Kurt, and François Delincé. "The importance of good power quality." ABB Power Qual. Prod., Charleroi, Belgium, ABB Review (2010).
-  Oo, MarlarThein, and EiEi Cho. "Improvement of power factor for industrial plant with automatic capacitor bank." proceedings of world academy of science, engineering and technology. Vol. 32. 2008.
-  Pradhan, P. C., et al. "POWER QUALITY IMPROVEMENT IN A WEAK BUS SYSTEM USING FACTS CONTROLLER."
-  Tey, L. H., P. L. So, and Y. C. Chu. "Improvement of power quality using adaptive shunt active filter." IEEE transactions on power delivery 20.2 (2005): 1558-1568.
-  Saito, Daisuke, and Shinichi Nomura. "Unity power factor control and harmonic current reduction of thyristor converters using variable series capacitors." Power Electronics and Applications (EPE), 2013 15th European Conference on. IEEE, 2013.
-  Das, Sankar, DebashisChatterjee, and Swapan Kumar Goswami. "SVC Switching Scheme for Load Balancing and Source Power Factor Improvement." IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery 31.5 (2016): 2072-2082.
-  Ohtake, Asuka, et al. "Development of 200-Mvar class thyristor switched capacitor supporting fault ride-through." Power Electronics Conference (IPEC-Hiroshima 2014-ECCE-ASIA), 2014 International. IEEE, 2014.
-  Reid, W. Edward. "Power quality issues-standards and guidelines." IEEE transactions on industry applications 32.3 (1996): 625-632.
-  Zemerick, Scott Alan. Design of a Prototype Personal Static VAR Compensator. Diss. West Virginia University Libraries, 2002.
-  Dr BV Sumangala. "Implementation of Thyristor Switched Capacitor for Reactive Power Compensation at Secondary of Distribution Level Feeders for Voltage Stability Improvement." International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT) Vol 2 (2013): 322-329.
-  Lu, Zhengyu, Daozhuo Jiang, and Zhaolin Wu. "A new topology of fault-current limiter and its parameters optimization." Power Electronics Specialist Conference, 2003. PESC03. 2003 IEEE 34th Annual. Vol. 1. IEEE, 2003.